Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Reading? What's that?

I know it's been ages since I've written about reading books in a blog, since it's bad karma or something to have a bad or good opinion about anything these days, but can I just say how much I'm enjoying "Treasure Island"? I never got around to reading it when I was a kid, and it's probably just as well since I think mizzen masts would have been a little over my head, so to speak. But Stevenson captures some really true moments through young Hawkins' eyes, such as when the cruel old Captain, Billy Bones, dies so soon after Hawkins' own father does. Though Hawkins never liked the pirate, who has done nothing but cause his poor mother anguish and drive his father to an early grave from stress, young Jim bursts into tears at the sight, never having had a chance to mourn his own father. Something tells me this scene was left out of the set-in-the-future animated Disney version.

Off-topic (Free Tangent Diane here!) I also feel I must nudge anyone who may be reading this to please check out Lynn Peril's upcoming book tour dates to see if she is coming to a store near you (see link on the right!). The book is College Girls, a provocative, in-depth look at the history of women in...you guessed it!...college! Ms. Peril is a terrific Bay Area talent and we should all scramble to support this latest project. Go, Lynn!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home